Dead, missing toll in London fire rises to 79, police say

20 June, 2017, 11:32 | Author: Valerie Burke
  • When was Grenfell Tower built what is the address and how many floors are there

The new exterior cladding used in a renovation on London's Grenfell Tower may have been banned under United Kingdom building regulations, two British ministers said Sunday as police continued their criminal investigation into the inferno that killed at least 58 people.

The toll has consistently risen - first from 6 to 12 to 17 to 30 to 58 and now to 79 - since the blaze broke out on Wednesday morning.

They were reported missing by Catherine Lindsay - who was teaching them English - but the family has now been found.

"What we don't know at this time, and we won't know until the investigation concludes, is why the fire spread in that absolutely unusual and extraordinary way in that building", she said. "Wherever we can, we will bring people to justice if there is evidence". Cundy has promised to share with relevant authorities any issues that needs to be addressed immediately to protect public safety.

"The tragedy at Grenfell Tower has left a number of local people in need of urgent assistance", a spokesman for the three royals at Kensington Palace said.

Residents who met the Prime Minister in Downing Street following the Grenfell Tower fire have criticised estate managers of the building as having been "invisible in the aftermath of the tragedy".

Britain's trade minister says the exterior paneling used on the exterior of the London high-rise, in which dozens were killed in a fire, appears to have violated building rules.

The venue had been a focal point for efforts to support those affected by the fire which engulfed the apartment tower in a matter of minutes.

The Home Office said late Saturday night it will make arrangements for the family of Mohammad Alhajali to "travel to the U.K.in these terribly sad circumstances".

Other emergency service workers stood with their hands behind their backs and their helmets on the ground. Cundy told reporters the "awful reality" was that it might not be possible to identify all the victims.

London fire chief Dany Cotton told BBC radio that it might be "some days yet" before firefighters could say they have reached everyone in the building.

The news comes a day after officials released images showing the devastation inside one of the apartments.

One image shows a bathroom, with a blackened sink and bathtub and broken tiles.

The remnants of an exercise bike, an oven and washing machine point to the lives of residents in the moments before the blaze.

Some 400 people are thought to have lived in the block, built in the 1970s, which had 120 flats.

Recommended:



Popular

Congressman Scalise Upgraded to Serious Condition, Showing Improvement: Hospital
Griner, who was also shot, is in the hospital in good condition and spirits after a gunshot wound to the ankle, Sava said today. Sava said he told Scalise's family that "I am not declaring victory until he's playing ball in his back yard with his family".

Homeowner held escaped inmates at gunpoint
Donnie Rowe and Ricky DuBose waived extradition back to Georgia to face many charges. ( Georgia Department of Corrections via AP). Then Rowe and Dubose reportedly jumped off the prison transport unit, and carjacked a vehicle that pulled-up behind the bus.

Not just Climate. Trump's exit from Paris agreement has important Health consequences
The U.S. has been a global leader since World War II. "This current decision will not stand". The Paris Climate Agreement includes over 190 countries committing to reduce emissions.

Anti-terror probe opened in Paris car attack
Collomb also said that he would propose an extension to France's state of national emergency at a cabinet meeting on Wednesday. France adopted the state of emergency following the 2015 attacks in Paris and it has been prolonged several times.

Donald Trump confirms he is being investigated for obstruction of justice
Trump exclaimed on Twitter , referring to the investigation as a "Witch Hunt". "Nice", Trump wrote in his first tweet. Both men refused the president's request, the Post said.