Danish inventor charged with murder after submarine is wrecked

13 August, 2017, 09:19 | Author: Valerie Burke
  • Denmark's navy says that Peter Madsen's privately built submarine that had been feared missing in Danish waters has been found and the crew is safe

Peter Madsen was arrested Friday on preliminary manslaughter charges after his 40-ton, almost 18-meter-long (60-foot-long) submarine sank off Denmark's eastern coast.

Mr Madsen was rescued, but there was no trace of the woman.

The Dane said he dropped journalist Kim Wall off at her home in the Danish capital before the incident. It also reported that police were looking to determine if Madsen had sunk the submarine deliberately.

A judge is set to decide if the owner of an amateur-built submarine should be held in custody during an investigation into whether he is responsible for the disappearance of a Swedish woman who had been onboard his submarine that sank off Denmark's east coast. "But I guess that was pretty good, because I otherwise still would have been down there".

The woman was a journalist writing about Madsen and his submarine, Swedish and Danish media reported.

When it failed to return, the journalist's boyfriend alerted authorities at about 2:30 a.m. Friday morning, prompting a wide search.

The 40-ton, 18-meter long Nautilus, one of three subs built by Madsen, is now sitting under 7m (24ft) of water with divers unable to enter it safely.

"The owner of the submarine was arrested and is accused of having killed the Swedish woman without intent", police said in a statement.

Kristian Isbak, who had answered the call to help locate the ship, saw Mr Madsen standing in the submarine's tower dressed in trademark military fatigues while it was still afloat.

The submarine was Madsen's third attempt at building such a structure and was the largest privately built submarine in the world at the time of its launch in 2008
Madsen later said there was a valve error that became serious when he tried to repair

Danish Navy spokesman Anders Damgaard. said Madsen the and journalist were the only two on board.

According to the Copenhagen Post, a search of the vessel is likely to be carried out once it has been towed to port later on Saturday.

Madsen describes himself as an "inventrepaneur" on the website for his Copenhagen-based company.

Madsen's company RML Spacelab is seeking to send people into space and is developing a rocket, floating launch pad and astronaut testing machine, its website says.

"My passion is finding ways to travel to worlds beyond the well-known", Madsen wrote on the site.

"The undersea world is close, it's lovely, always just around the corner in Denmark".

Two helicopters and three ships scoured the Baltic Sea waters between Copenhagen and the island of Bornholm. It was spotted by a lighthouse in Koge Bay, south of the city, at 10.30am.

Half an hour later "the submarine suddenly sank and the owner was subsequently rescued on a private motorboat".

Madsen said in an interview with a Danish television station that the trip spun into chaos after a "minor problem" with a mechanism meant to balance the craft turned into a "major issue".

Recommended:

  • Nuclear Experts: Trump's Claims About Nuclear Arsenal Are 'Absurd'

    Nuclear Experts: Trump's Claims About Nuclear Arsenal Are 'Absurd'

    Rasmussen Reports , a poll Trump himself has cited on Twitter, shows 45 percent of likely US voters approve of his performance. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) said Democrats "have to park their hatred of Donald Trump and put the country first".
    Jesus welcomes Aguero competition on trophy charge for Manchester City

    Jesus welcomes Aguero competition on trophy charge for Manchester City

    Particularly with the energy of Fernandinho shielding in front of them. We were not able with those players to find a solution.
    Neymar cleared to make PSG debut

    Neymar cleared to make PSG debut

    The 25-year-old forward can play for the Ligue 1 side at Guingamp on Sunday. In any case, the paperwork issues have left Neymar unfazed.
  • Two soldiers killed in Shopian gunfight

    Two soldiers killed in Shopian gunfight

    Police officials said that the security forces were conducting a search operation when the militants opened fire at them. The Army quickly launched a search operation in the area but no arrests were made, the police sources said.
    Heavy rains to continue over Assam, Meghalaya; flood situation to worsen

    Heavy rains to continue over Assam, Meghalaya; flood situation to worsen

    Of the five deaths on Saturday, two were reported from Dhemaji district and one each from Lakhimpur, Morigaon and Kokrajhar. The month-long first wave of floods in July had claimed 82 lives and affected 25.42 lakh people in 29 districts.
    Bomb Kills At Least 15 In Southwestern Pakistan

    Bomb Kills At Least 15 In Southwestern Pakistan

    He said it was not immediately clear if it was a suicide blast or a remotely controlled explosive device. Attacks have also been reported by groups related to the Taliban.
  • Gary Bettman releases statement on passing of Bryan Murray

    Gary Bettman releases statement on passing of Bryan Murray

    Murray stepped down as the team's GM previous year to battle the disease, becoming a senior hockey advisor for the Senators. In November of 2014, he announced that the cancer had spread and that "there is no cure.at this point".

    Nine-man Chelsea shocked by Sam Vokes double for Burnley

    Chelsea (3-4-3): Courtois; Rudiger, Cahill, David Luiz; Kante, Fabregas, Alonso, Azpilicueta; Willian, Batshuayi, Morata. Antonio Conte has hit back at Arsene Wenger after the Arsenal boss aimed a dig at Chelsea over the size of their squad.
    Marlins plan to sell to group that includes Jeter

    Marlins plan to sell to group that includes Jeter

    The Jeter-Sherman group beat out two other groups that pursued the team in the final weeks of negotiations. "We feel really good". Bruce Sherman is considered the largest investor in the deal and would have the title of managing partner.
  • White House: Donald Trump and Emmanuel Macron on growing North Korea's threat

    White House: Donald Trump and Emmanuel Macron on growing North Korea's threat

    I'd say he's being incredibly irresponsible and he's putting us in a situation where you could have an accidental launch. The phone call with the French President came hours after Trump spoke with Chinese President Xi Jinping.
    Slain Australian remembered in Minneapolis

    Slain Australian remembered in Minneapolis

    Noor shot through the open driver-side window from the passenger seat and fatally struck the Australian bride-to-be. The search warrant application was filed Thursday by an agent with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.
    Guardiola has Man City playing like Barcelona - Toure

    Guardiola has Man City playing like Barcelona - Toure

    Full-backs were what they needed to fix and they've done that pretty well and firepower-wise they look pretty awesome. The goalkeeper will always be the question mark but he has a team that suits his style now.


Popular

Man City captain Kompany happy with victory at Brighton
Having been promoted as runners-up in the Championship last season, Albion are among many pundits picks to be relegated. Our live coverage lets you follow all the key moments as they happen. "That's the quality that they've got".

Facebook quietly fields unbranded software in China
It was released through a separate company without any hint of Facebook's affiliation. This isn't the only time Facebook has tried to tap into the Chinese market.

Wozniacki Beats Stephens To Reach Sixth Final of 2017
Wozniacki has ended a Toronto drought this week, winning her first matches at York University in 10 years. Wozniacki, the 2010 champion, needed 80 minutes to eliminate Stephens and reach her sixth final of 2017.

Why white nationalists are misappropriating Red Wings logo
One person died and 19 were hurt when a vehicle was driven intentionally into a throng of anti-racism demonstrators. This specific use is directly contrary to the value of inclusiveness that our League prioritizes and champions.

Gov Calvo receives phone call from US President
However, Guam's security agency has issued a fact sheet with advice on what residents should do in the event of a nuclear attack. Republican governor Eddie Baza Calvo posted a recording of the conversation on his Facebook page on Friday.