Home » Sport

Saeed Ajmal to call it a day

14 November, 2017, 11:06 | Author: Alberta Rodriguez
  • Ajmal announces retirement from all forms of cricket

Ajmal was reported for suspect action twice in his eight-year career.

Pakistan's discarded off-spinner on Monday announced that he would be retiring from all forms of cricket after the end of the ongoing National Twenty20 tournament in Rawalpindi.

Ajmal enjoyed a successful start to his career and went on to play 35 Tests taking 178 wickets at an average of 28.10, one of his most memorable performances came against the Proteas at Newlands where his 10/147 very almost inspired what would have been a famous victory for Pakistan. Ajmal said he would concentrate on coaching in the future. In 64 T20I matches he got 85 wickets at a staggering average of 17.83.

It was his performance in Pakistan's 3-0 whitewash against England in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) that will always remain the highlight of his illustrious career. In the 35 Tests he has represented for Pakistan, Ajmal clinched as many as 178 wickets with ten 5-wicket haul and four 10-wicket hauls in a match. Ajmal was a major pillar in the Pakistan line-up under the captaincy of Misbah-ul-Haq. But it was his bowling action which always remained under the scanner.

Ajmal was banned from bowling in 2014 due to an illegal action and was unable to return to the peak of his powers after remodelling his action.

With his changed action, Ajmal played two ODIs in Bangladesh soon after the 2015 World Cup but was unimpressive in both the matches. He fell out of favour with the selectors while his performances in the Pakistan Super League also did not help his case any further.

But in spite of his early successes, Ajmal said the last two years of his career had been frustrating.

Recommended:



Popular

Gareth Southgate says England could face penalty shootout BEFORE next summer
On what England have to do to improve their record, Southgate said: "It's about being able to execute a technique under pressure". We watch the players very closely with their clubs and have succession plans to who is second, third and fourth choice".

North Korean defector was shot six times by border troops: UNC
From January to August 2017, 780 North Koreans escaped to South Korea , according to officials in Seoul. South Korean officials have yet to identify where the soldier came from or what his intentions were.

Trump 'must challenge Duterte's horrifying human rights abuses'
But critics warn the gesture has come to represent the brutalities of Duterte's drug war, which has claimed thousands of lives. The Pres uses colourful language when [with] Pinoys (Filipinos) overseas", the spokesman told AFP in a text message.

Air pollution: Arvind Kejriwal to meet Manohar Lal Khattar in Chandigarh
Chandrachud issued notice to the central government and the four states on a petition by a lawyer R.K. Such collective problems require everyone to do their bit.

Menendez jury says it's deadlocked; judge says to keep going
He dismissed the jurors an hour early and told them to come back Tuesday morning and to continue deliberating. Bob Menendez has deadlocked, but the judge is still pushing for a verdict.