Published: Wed, March 21, 2018
Worldwide | By Lisa Hogan

Docs link Trump Org lawyer to effort to silence porn star

Docs link Trump Org lawyer to effort to silence porn star

Stormy Daniels' attorney said Friday morning that his client has been physically threatened over her attempts to speak out about her alleged affair with President Donald Trump.

Trump's reason for asking that the case be moved may involve the Federal Arbitration Act, which makes arbitration the preferred forum for resolving many kinds of disputes. Trump's attorneys also sought to change the venue of a lawsuit filed by Daniels from state court to federal court.

Until now, Mr. Trump had stayed out of the legal dispute, leaving it to Mr Cohen to publicly deny Ms Clifford's claims. Daniels sued earlier this month claiming that because Trump himself never signed the "hush agreement", it is void.

Mr Cohen has acknowledged paying her $130,000 (£95,000) privately, but said neither Mr Trump nor his company was a party to the transaction.

Trump's name surfaced in one of two motions his legal team filed Friday in Los Angeles.

"I don't think there has ever been in an instance in the history of the United States where you had a sitting president who undertook a personal vendetta against a private US citizen who was merely looking for an opportunity to tell her version of events", Avenatti told MSNBC Friday night.

He added that more details would be made clear in the upcoming bombshell "60 Minutes" interview set to air later in March.

The removal notice says that the agreement calls for $1 million in damages for every breach and alleges that Clifford has broken it at least 20 times.

The new paperwork showed that Trump is being represented by Charles Harder, the high-profile attorney who won a $140 million verdict for Hulk Hogan against Gawker and who has also worked for Harvey Weinstein, Jared Kushner and a constellation of Hollywood stars. Avenatti has appeared regularly on television to reveal new details about the effort to keep Clifford quiet during the presidential campaign, which culminated in the deal for her silence in October 2016.

"I think it will become apparent to people when they tune in to "60 Minutes". the details related to the threat", Avenatti said. We are NOT going away and we will NOT be intimidated", Avenatti wrote on the social media site."The filing today is yet another bullying tactic from the president and Mr Cohen.

Cohen obtained a preliminary restraining order against Clifford from an arbitrator in late February, though she does not believe she is bound by the order.

And given the bureau's track record when it comes to Trump, MSNBC will have a hard sell to convince the American public that the FBI is suddenly in the president's pocket.

Like this: