Published: Tue, April 03, 2018
Tech | By Anita Cain

'Condom challenge' is the latest, unsafe fad among teens

'Condom challenge' is the latest, unsafe fad among teens

The "condom snorting challenge" is exactly what it sounds like: Teens are taking to the internet to post videos of themselves snorting a condom up one nostril and inhaling until it - hopefully - re-emerges into the mouth.

Health experts have urged teens not to take part because the rubber could potentially get caught in a person's airway and block their ability to breathe.

Forbes said in an article on Saturday that snorting condoms poses several risks - including getting it stuck in your nose or throat, with the risk of suffocation. Then what? You reach back and pull it from your mouth.

A more recent report from 2016 found a woman suffered from appendicitis after she accidentally swallowed a condom during oral sex and a piece of it lodged in her appendix.

Texas parents are among those being warned of the craze, with education specialist Stephen Enriquez telling Fox San Antonio: 'Because these days our teens are doing everything for likes, views and subscribers. Bruce Y. Lee, a contributor to Forbes and Associate Professor of International Health at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, explains that the only thing that should go up your nose is air - and the occasional medicine. The practice could be unsafe to your sinuses and potentially life-threatening if the condom gets stuck in your throat.

"Would it really be worth all that just to get more like and views?".

They then share the video, generally on YouTube.

This isn't the only unsafe challenge teens are attempting, as the "Tide Pod Challenge" made headlines in January for putting laundry detergent pods in their mouth, or cooking them and then eating them.

According to Time.com, there were 30 reports of teenagers intentionally misusing laundry pods in the first half of January this year, when the trend made waves, data from the American Association of Poison Control Centres showed. Most of the 152 incidents involving condoms - 107 cases, to be exact - were related to ingestion, according to the statistics.

Like this: