Published: Fri, April 06, 2018
Culture | By Margie Dunn

Conor McGregor turns himself in to police in NY

Conor McGregor turns himself in to police in NY

While Conor McGregor wasn't set to compete on Saturday night's UFC 223, the lightweight champion became the star of the show on Thursday after a violent incident outside a pre-fight media event at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York.

USA Today reports McGregor, 29, surrendered to police in NY but has not yet been charged.

"He's been charged with assault, three counts of assault, and one count of criminal mischief", Thomas Antonetti of the NYPD told Reuters.

The incident resulted in three scheduled fights for Saturday's event being canceled.

UFC president Dana White has been quick to show his disgust for McGregor's behaviour, calling it "the most disgusting thing that has ever happened in the history of the company." . Borg suffered an eye injury from shattered glass, while Chiesa suffered multiple cuts to the face, according to MMAFighting journalist Ariel Helwani.

McGregor is not involved in the event, but has a teammate, Artem Lobov, on the card, and the main event will see McGregor's UFC lightweight title stripped from him, with the victor of the bout between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Max Holloway walking away the new undisputed UFC lightweight champion.

He added "They broke one of the windows, cut Michael Chiesa really bad".

"The organization deems today's disruption completely unacceptable and is now working on the consequences that will follow", UFC said in a statement. Interestingly, those are the two fighters who will be battling for the Lightweight Belt, the title that McGregor was stripped of earlier yesterday.

Khabib Nurmagomedov was involved in an altercation with SBG Ireland's Artem Lobov earlier in the week.

UFC Featherweight Champion Conor McGregor reacts during UFC 205 Weigh-ins at Madison Square Garden on November 11, 2016 in New York City. That's all I have to say for now.

The incident has sparked a massive reaction online ahead of Nurmagomedov's fight with Max Holloway at the weekend. White said credentialed journalists from McGregor's website, The Mac Life, let McGregor and a large entourage into Barclays Center.

Chiesa released a statement on Twitter, detailing that "a decision was made by the New York State Athletic Commission to pull me from UFC 223".

"No, I think everybody's going to be pretty disgusted with Conor McGregor right now".

Photo Conor McGregor warming up before a boxing match against Floyd Mayweather Jr.in August.

Like this: