Published: Tue, May 15, 2018
Worldwide | By Lisa Hogan

Terror suspect killed in fresh gunfire in Indonesia's Surabaya

Terror suspect killed in fresh gunfire in Indonesia's Surabaya

Surabaya police spokesman Frans Barung Mangera said the militant died in a shootout in a Surabaya neighbourhood with counterterrorism police, who had tried to arrest him over possible involvement in the attacks that killed at least 13 people.

The first explosion took place in Surabaya's Santa Maria church, killing four people, including the suicide bomber.

The flurry of bombings raised concerns that previously beaten-down militant networks in the world's most populous Muslim-majority nation have been reinvigorated by the return of some of the estimated 1,100 Indonesians who went to fight with the Islamic State group in Syria.

Three suicide blasts were committed by one family - a husband, wife and four children - against three churches in the town.

Democratic Party deputy secretary-general Rachland Nashidik said that while it was important to revise the Terrorism Law, the President should "pay attention to organizational reform and replace officials who have failed in carrying out their duties to protect the freedom and security of citizens".

Using women and children in militant attacks has always been a tactic deployed in other countries - Nigerian terror group Boko Haram often uses children as suicide bombers.

Twenty five people died in the two days of attacks including a total of 13 militants and their children.

And if the initial analysis by the police that the Jemaah Ansharut Daulah (JAD) is behind the recent attacks is accurate, then the local terrorist network has truly raised its game.

The new spate of bombings comes just ahead of the holy Islamic month of Ramadan, and follows a melee at a detention center near Jakarta last week in which jailed Muslim extremists killed six officers.

It claimed responsibility for 11 attacks between 2000 and 2010, including the deadly 2002 Bali bombings that left more than 200 people dead and hundreds injured, many of them tourists. He said that all the children who survived their parents' attacks will be given counseling to help them recover.

Later in the day, police said another family attempted to carry out an attack the Surabaya suburb of Sidoarjo.

Karnavian said the father drove a bomb-laden vehicle into the city's Pentecostal church.

The daughters were aged 9 and 12, while the sons were 16 and 18 years old, respectively. Based on their remains, Karnavian said the mother and daughters were all wearing explosives around their waists.

Like this: