Published: Thu, July 26, 2018
Worldwide | By Lisa Hogan

Vigil honors Nia Wilson, demands action

Vigil honors Nia Wilson, demands action

Bay Area Rapid Transit police in Northern California arrested a suspect Monday in the stabbing death of a woman at a train station. I am relieved to learn that the suspect was apprehended after an anonymous tip from a BART rider led to the arrest of the suspect.

Police arrested him without incident Monday night at the Pleasant Hill BART station.

Rojas said that security footage showed Cowell taking off his clothes after the stabbing, which the police chief said was a sign of the suspect's "consciousness of guilt". Detectives recovered a knife they believed was used in the attack at a nearby construction site, said Bay Area Rapid Transit Police Chief Carlos Rojas.

Rojas said police officers were on duty at the MacArthur station where the attack took place but wasn't sure it could have been prevented because of the suddenness of the unprovoked and possibly random attack.

"The senseless and violent stabbing of two young women on a BART train platform last night has shaken our community", Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf said in a statement Monday.

Latifah said she and Nia had no contact with Cowell prior to the attack.

NBC Bay Area Channel 11 and other media reported that Cowell was released on parole in May after serving time for second-degree armed robbery.

"My daughter was everything to me she was so attractive, so inspirational", Muhammad told KRON on Wednesday.

Police say vigil held at a BART station later swelled into a crowd of about a thousand that marched downtown. Wilson died at the scene, and Wilson remains hospitalized.

18-year-old Nia Wilson takes shape outside Bay Area Rapid Transits Mac Arthur Station
Lorin Eleni Gill AP

The suspect in connection with the fatal stabbing of an 18-year-old girl at the MacArthur BART station Sunday night is now in custody.

Her mother, Alicia Grayson, said Wilson took CPR classes and once saved her aunt's life using the Heimlich maneuver.

Greyson said Nia was a "wonderful" daughter.

Latifa Wilson, still wearing a gauze on her neck, told ABC7 news Monday afternoon she and her sister were "blindsided by a maniac" they never spoke with on the BART train.

'Up to this point we don't have any information that was race-motivated, but we can't discard it, ' Rojas said.

Their relatives identified the shooting victims as Nia Wilson, who died, and her 21-year-old sister Tashiya Wilson.

Daryle Allums of the group "Stop Killing Our Kids", and the godfather of Nia Wilson, initiated a prayer circle, calling for peace and justice at the BART station. The movement is called "Say Her Name". "That's what we're out here doing, supporting our family". BART Police says it has ramped up patrols and working video cameras have been placed throughout stations and on the cars.

On Monday evening, marchers held a vigil for Wilson that brought almost 1,000 people to downtown Oakland, according to an estimate by the Oakland police. She says he's lived in and out of this Concord home and over the years has been in trouble with the law. Kaiser Medical in Richmond filed a restraining order against him after he was accused of threatening to kill an employee in 2016.

A day before the Wilson sisters were stabbed, Don Stevens, 47, was "cold-clocked" on the side of his head by an unidentified man after he got into an argument with another person on the train, Rojas said.

Like this: