Published: Thu, October 04, 2018
Medical | By Mark Scott

Popular Resort Closes During Brain-Eating Amoeba Testing

Popular Resort Closes During Brain-Eating Amoeba Testing

After returning home to New Jersey, Stabile died on September 21 due to amoeba that can cause a rare and devastating infection of the brain.

Page organizer Stephanie Papastephanou wrote that while Stabile was mowing his lawn on the afternoon of Sunday September 16, he suddenly experienced a severe headache and went to lie down.

But the "brain-eating amoeba" infections can also occur in inadequately chlorinated swimming pools or heated and contaminated tap water, hot springs, geothermal drinking water, and water heaters. "He loved snowboarding, surfing, and anything to do with friends and family", his obituary reads.

Officials with the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention are testing the Waco surf resort's water for Naegleria fowleri.

Infections can happen when contaminated water enters the body through the nose.

In a statement, Stuart Parsons Jr., the owner of BSR Cable Park, said his "hearts and prayers" are with Stabile's family.

Symptoms typically show from one to nine days after the amoeba is contracted and people usually die within about two weeks, according to the CDC.

The disease, according to the CDC, is nearly always fatal, with only four people out of 143 cases have survived the infection.

According to Parsons, the rest of the park's amenities are unaffected so only those who frequented the wave pool should be alarmed.

The surf park voluntarily closed on Friday pending a CDC investigation, reported local media, and is complying with local health departments. Once it reaches the brain it causes primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM), which is often fatal. "We are in compliance with the CDC guidelines and recommendations concerning Naegleria fowleri". In his memory, his family is asking for donations to the Swim Above Water Amoeba Awareness Foundation which aims to bring awareness to the disease.

The amoeba is rare, with 34 infections reported in the United States from 2008 to 2017.

A person can be contaminated with the amoeba while swimming or diving. The federal agency says only four of the 143 people known to have been infected in the US between 1962 and 2017 have survived.

Like this: