Published: Sun, October 28, 2018
Worldwide | By Lisa Hogan

Erdogan says Saudi journalist’s murder ‘thoroughly planned’

Erdogan says Saudi journalist’s murder ‘thoroughly planned’

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday Saudi authorities staged the "worst cover-up ever" in the killing of prominent journalist Jamal Khashoggi this month, as the United States vowed to revoke visas of some of those believed to be responsible.

Erdogan refused to accept Saudi Arabia's explanation that the Saudi journalist was accidentally killed. Just 5 percent said he has been too tough.

Also under consideration are potential sanctions, he said.

May added that she will continue to pile diplomatic pressure on Saudi leaders to complete a swift and transparent investigation, and would be speaking to Saudi King Salman later Wednesday.

Jubeir called the killing of Khashoggi a awful mistake and offered condolences to his family.

He called the killing of Khashoggi "a total fiasco" and says Saudi Arabia never should have thought about killing the dissident Washington Post contributor. The poll has a margin of error of 2.5 percentage points.

When Pompeo spoke to reporters upon returning from Saudi Arabia last week, he took only two questions and gave few details about his meetings there.

It later acknowledged that he had in fact been murdered, as Turkish officials said all along.

Addressing a panel at the Future Investment Initiative conference in Riyadh, Prince Mohammed said that many parties were trying to exploit the incident to "drive a wedge between Saudi Arabia and Turkey".

Saudi officials at first denied involvement, saying Khashoggi had left the consulate through the back door.

Ms Haspel was allowed to listen to the audio during a visit to Turkey earlier this week, reports said.

Central Intelligence Agency director Gina Haspel was heading for Turkey yesterday as the USA treasury secretary Steven Mnuchin met Prince Mohammed in Riyadh.

On Tuesday, the police searched an abandoned vehicle belonging to the Saudi consulate in an underground auto park in the Sultangazi district of Istanbul.

The death of Khashoggi, a U.S. resident and Washington Post columnist, has sparked global outrage and threatened relations between Riyadh and Washington as well as with other Western nations.

"All evidence gathered shows that Jamal Khashoggi was the victim of a savage murder". One of those fired includes Saud al-Qahtani, a top aide to the crown prince.

Pompeo said that the Turks have been "very cooperative with us", although he declined to answer a question about whether any USA officials have heard an audio recording of Khashoggi that Turkish officials reportedly have in their possession.

The Saudis have laid out different versions of the circumstances that led to the death of Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and critic of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, who was not seen after entering the consulate on October 2.

Like this: