Published: Sat, December 01, 2018
Sport | By Ruben Hill

AFCON 2019: CAF strips Cameroon of hosting rights

AFCON 2019: CAF strips Cameroon of hosting rights

Morocco is the favourite to take over the hosting of the expanded 24-team tournament, which is being held from June 15-July 13.

Confederation of African Football (CAF) held an Extraordinary Executive meeting to decide the fate of Sierra Leone on Friday, November 30.

CAF president Ahmad, who goes by one name, said the move to take the tournament away from the Central African country was "a crucial and decisive moment for the good of African football".

The new host is expected to be named before the end of the year, a CAF executive committee member told Reuters.

Egypt, Morocco and South Africa are tipped as candidates to replace Cameroon.

Increasing the field of the Nations Cup and switching its hosting to mid-year were among reforms announced last year in a major overhaul of the African game.

CAF said in September that there was a "significant delay" with the building of stadiums and related infrastructure but gave Cameroon a final chance by planning two more inspection visits in October.

There are close to six months to the kick off of the long awaited 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) finals.

In August, CAF Chairman Ahmad Ahmad cast doubt over Cameroon's readiness to host Africa's biggest football event.

Cameroon's ability to host the finals was first questioned when CAF announced in July a year ago that the tournament would have eight additional teams and only countries capable of putting on world-class tournament, with complete facilities and extensive infrastructure would be allowed to stage the event.

CAF will ensure that a new host is in place by 31st December 2018, and it will communicate openly and transparently on the process and subsequent decision.

Like this: