Published: Wed, November 27, 2019
Tech | By Anita Cain

Evacuation Information for the Cave Fire Burning Near Santa Barbara

Evacuation Information for the Cave Fire Burning Near Santa Barbara

The Cave Fire burns more than 2,500 acres in the mountains above Santa Barbara and Goleta Monday night.

Mandatory evacuation orders are in place from Ontare Road to Fairview Ave. north of Cathedral Oaks. Because Highway 154 was closed, evacuees had to come down old San Marcos, officials said. The first evacuation orders were issued when the fire was still small - about 15 acres - when authorities at the scene reported it as a wind-driven fire making its way "down canyon".

Check highway conditions through the Caltrans website here.

Full details of the evacuation zones can be seen at an interactive incident map on the website.

The Los Angeles Times reported that 2,400 homes were under mandatory evacuation orders, and that the area's steep and rocky terrain made fighting the fire hard.

The air quality level in Goleta is "moderate", according to the Santa Barbara County Air Pollution Control District. Please use U.S. 101 as an alternate route.

Southern California Edison, the area's largest electricity supplier, said it was considering turning off power to hundreds of Santa Barbara homes due to the fire. "SCE representatives will be on site to answer questions", Ready SBC advises. The Cave Fire is advancing toward major population areas in the cities of Santa Barbara and Goleta, and unincorporated areas of the county.

The fire hasn't damaged any homes, but one or two buildings outside the home such as a shed, barn or garage have been destroyed, Bertucelli said.

Earlier this month, Los Padres National Forest officials announced that "Extreme Fire Danger fire restrictions will go into effect immediately and remain in effect through December 31, 2019", on the park's official website.

Like this: