Published: Mon, December 02, 2019
Worldwide | By Lisa Hogan

ISIS claims responsibility for London terror attack

ISIS claims responsibility for London terror attack

Two people were stabbed to death and three injured in the attack.

The gathering had been meant to celebrate the fifth year of the program, university Vice-Chancellor Stephen Toope said.

Jack Merritt, 25, of Cottenham, Cambridgeshire, and Saskia Jones, 23, of Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, were identified as the deceased victims.

Jones's family also highlighted her dedication to criminal justice.

In a statement, Mr Toope said: "I am sad beyond words to report that a course co-ordinator, Jack Merritt, was killed, as was a former student not yet named by the Metropolitan Police".

Gelsthorpe said the "Learning Together" community "valued her contributions enormously" and were "inspired by her determination to push towards the good".

Media captionListen to Jack Merritt speak on a BBC podcast about his work helping inmates at a prison to study law.

"We'll never know how many lives are being saved in this moment".

Merritt's family said of their son in Sunday's news release that he "lived his principles; he believed in redemption and rehabilitation, not revenge, and he always took the side of the underdog".

"We're playing Russian roulette with people's lives, letting convicted, known, radicalised jihadi criminals walk about our streets", he said.

Queen Elizabeth said in a statement that she and her husband, Prince Philip, were sending their thoughts to everyone affected by the "terrible violence".

"He worked tirelessly in dark places to pull towards the light."

In a tweet, London Mayor Sadiq Khan praised the men who fought the attacker.

"They will forever be in our hearts", he wrote.

Police shot and killed the suspect.

"Clearly a key line of enquiry now is to establish how he came to carry out this attack", said Met Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu.

Footage posted online shows Khan being taken to the ground as one man sprays him with a fire extinguisher and another, reportedly a Polish man who worked at the Fishmongers' Hall, lunges towards him with a narwhal tusk believed to have been taken from the wall inside the building.

Police have said that Khan appears to have been in compliance with the conditions governing his release, which were not made public, but nonetheless was able to carry out a deadly assault that did not rely on sophisticated weaponry or detonation of an explosive device.

According to Basu, Khan was detained and "subsequently confronted and shot by armed officers".

The court documents seen by "The Sunday Times" reveal that the authorities were much more concerned about the sophistication displayed by Khan and others from his hometown of Stoke-on-Trent, who were planning to set up a terrorist training facility "under the cover of a madrassa" on land owned by his family in PoK.

Police said Khan had previously been arrested in 2012 on terror-related charges. However, he had been released in 2018.

Meanwhile, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) on Saturday claimed the responsibility of the attack.

The release of convicted terrorists into the community has sparked fierce debate in the United Kingdom, with a general election less than two weeks away.

He added: "I think when we pore over the details of how all this happened and how this horror occurred, you can not administer justice on the cheap - I think that's one of the key lessons we need to draw from this awful attack".

Like this: