Published: Mon, January 20, 2020
Worldwide | By Lisa Hogan

United Nations condemns attack on Yemen camp, says it threatens peace

United Nations condemns attack on Yemen camp, says it threatens peace

A missile attack on a military training camp in Yemen has killed at least 70 soldiers.

President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi described Saturday's assault on Muslim worshipers as an act of "blatant aggression" that underscored Houthis' "lawlessness" and "unwillingness" to make peace, according to Saudi Arabia's state-run news agency.

Al Ekhbariya television quoted sources as saying the attack was carried out with ballistic missiles and drones.

Elsewhere in the Qa'atabah district of Yemen's southwestern province of Dhale, several Saudi-paid militiamen were killed or injured when bomb attacks struck their positions.

The conflict became a regional proxy war months later as a Saudi-led coalition intervened to try and restore Hadi's internationally-recognized government, which rules in exile in Riyadh, the Saudi capital.

Another military source informed that fighting in Nihm is ongoing on Sunday.

The Iranian-oriented Houthis did not immediately take responsibility for the attack.

Recently, United Nations envoy Martin Griffiths also welcomed a significant reduction in airstrikes and the movement of ground troops.

An UN-brokered agreement signed between the warring sides in December 2018 is seen as a hope to reduce the crisis in Yemen but the slow implementation means that the intense conflict continues.

The Yemen war has killed more than 100,000 people and pushed millions to the brink of starvation.

The landmark agreement signed in Sweden in December 2018 had been hailed as Yemen's best chance so far to end the fighting that has pushed the country to the brink of starvation.

Yemen's civil war erupted in 2014 when Iran-backed Shiite Houthi rebels seized Sanaa, and much of the country's north, ousting President Hadi.

"We must not let that happen again", he said.

Like this: