Published: Wed, February 05, 2020
Worldwide | By Lisa Hogan

First coronavirus death reported outside China

First coronavirus death reported outside China

The 44-year-old Chinese man who died in the Philippines was from Wuhan, the city that has been ground-zero for the Coronavirus epidemic.

Philippine officials say a 44-year-old Chinese man from Wuhan was admitted on January 25 with a fever, cough and sore throat before he developed severe pneumonia.

The outbreak is reminiscent of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), a virus from the same family that emerged in China in 2002 and killed nearly 800 people around the world out of the roughly 8,000 who were infected.

The U.S. emergency declaration also requires Americans returning from the ground zero Chinese province of Hubei to be placed in mandatory 14-day quarantine, and health screening for United States citizens coming from other parts of China.

The United States, the United Arab Emirates, Japan, Vietnam and Australia all have reported new cases.

Zhong played a major role in overcoming China's 2002-2003 outbreak of SARS, a coronavirus from the same family as the current pathogen.

With Wuhan and some other Chinese cities in virtual lockdown, travel severely restricted and China facing increasing worldwide isolation, fears of wider economic disruption are growing.

"That's what the theory is here", said Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC's National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, as she noted that there are already some 17,000 cases of a virus for which the population does not have immunity.

US Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced that President Donald Trump will temporarily bar entry to the US of foreign nationals believed to be a risk of transmitting the virus.

A total of 192 people in Wuhan have now died.

Across China, there were 2,590 new confirmed infections in the 24 hours until midnight on Saturday, bringing the total so far to 14,380.

Outside mainland China, there have been more than 100 infections reported in more than 20 countries.

As of Sunday morning the death toll had climbed to 304 and officials reported a massive spike in new cases, with more than 2,000 reported in the county on Saturday.

- Nepal -Nepal has reported one case so far: a man who arrived from Wuhan.

China sent medical workers and equipment Monday to its just-completed, 1,000-bed hospital for treating victims of a new virus that has caused 362 deaths and more than 17,300 infections at home and overseas.

The eastern Chinese city of Wenzhou restricted the movement of residents and closed roads on Sunday in the most drastic steps taken by authorities outside the epicentre of a deadly virus.

Several high-profile sporting events have also been moved or postponed, the latest a badminton Olympic qualifier in Hainan province.

Meanwhile, six officials in the city of Huanggang, neighboring the epicenter of Wuhan in Hubei province, have been fired over "poor performance" in handling the outbreak, the official Xinhua News Agency reported.

In the United States, health officials issued a two-week quarantine order for the 195 Americans evacuated this week from Wuhan.

"We are seeing in the cases that are in the hospital, we've seen people who had detectable virus, and they didn't have the technical virus, and then three days later they had detectable virus", said Robert Redfield, the CDC's director. The U.S., Japan, Singapore, Indonesia, New Zealand and Australia have imposed similar restrictions despite criticism from China and WHO's guidance such measures were unnecessary.

Like this: