Published: Sun, February 09, 2020
Worldwide | By Lisa Hogan

Emergency law aims to stop next terror release

Emergency law aims to stop next terror release

It is understood one offender is due for release on February 28, with another five expected to be let out in March unless the new law is in force.

Amman, who was jailed for three years and four months in December 2018, had been staying in a hostel for newly released prisoners in Streatham since his release.

Currently, there are 224 terrorist prisoners in jail but still eligible for early release.

Basu, who was speaking out after 20-year-old Sudesh Amman stabbed two people in Streatham, London before being shot dead by police officers, admitted that police were struggling to keep on top of surveillance of risky individuals.

It follows two attacks in recent months by men convicted of terror offences.

In an article for the Evening Standard on Wednesday, Basu revealed that he was "supportive" of United Kingdom government plans to introduce emergency laws on February 27 that will prevent existing convicted terrorists from being automatically released from jail after serving just a third of their sentence.

He was put under 24-hour police surveillance after his release on January 23, with an armed police team tailing him on the day of the attack.

Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, said security services knew Amman "posed a significant risk".

"Part of the solution must be ensuring that those who pose the greatest threat to our society are removed from it, and so my colleagues and I are supportive of the Government's plans to strengthen our ability to keep the most unsafe terrorists locked up for longer".

The official said the attack in Streatham highlighted an issue surrounding terrorists with relatively short prison sentences.

The government is aiming for its law change to clear the Commons by the time MPs rises for recess on 20 February and pass through the House of Lords over the following seven days.

On Wednesday, the head of United Kingdom counter-terror policing Neil Basu warned the threat from terrorism was not diminishing and that the number of subjects of interest and convicted terrorists due for release meant "we can not watch all of them, all [of] the time".

In November, a man who had been automatically released halfway through a 16-year sentence stabbed two people in central London before he was shot by police. "We can not continue to be in a position where the state has no power to block the release of terrorists who continue to pose a threat".

He had posted a statement on a Twitter account from the Islamic State group calling for attacks.

"This is in relation to release arrangements which are part of the administration of a sentence and it would be our position that you can change those without being considered to breach an offender's human rights".

She said there was a review into the proposal and "this might be the right time to do it".

Like this: